I'll probably kick myself when I figure this one out, but here's a
riddle for you.

pfsense is 2.0RC3. Atom D510 (2x1.6GHz, GBE)
Clear DF bit: enabled
Scrub: disabled

I have a number of real and virtual hosts (single ESXi server with
vlans) connected to pfsense through a Netgear gigabit switch using
vlans. All hosts are wired and local, so latency is <3 ms in all
cases. I noticed some serious slowness using nfs, so I investigated
with iperf. All iperf tests were half-duplex, 4 threads, 30 seconds in
duration to the server, like so: iperf -c rip -P4 -t30. Here is the
results matrix:

Client  Real/Virtual  Vlan  Server   Real/Virtual  Vlan    Result         Notes
ren       real               85     rip        virtual         240
17 Mbps   routed: slow
crag     virtual           250     rip       virtual          240
17 Mbps   routed: slow
slab     virtual            85      rip        virtual         240
17 Mbps   routed: slow
slab     virtual            85     crag      virtual         250
345 Mbps  routed
ren        real              85    crag       virtual         250
320 Mbps  routed
ren        real              85    mule     real             85
950 Mbps  L2 wire speed
ren        real              85    mule     real             250
380 Mbps  routed
ren        real              85    slab      virtual          85
950 Mbps  L2 wire speed
slab      virtual           85    mule       real           25
548 Mbps  routed
mule      real             240    rip        virtual        240
950 Mbps  L2 wire speed

I hope that's not too confusing. To summarize, any two machines, real
or virtual, get iperf results near wire speed when on the same L2
network. Any two machines on different (routed) networks see iperf
speeds between 320 and 550, which is expected due to the limitations
of the router. The exception is rip. Of my three virtual hosts, which
all live on the same ESXi server, only rip is seeing very slow iperf
speeds (and similar nfs speeds) when acting as server to routed hosts.

I can't explain this, as rip has access to more cores and RAM on the
ESXi host than the other VMs. There is no pfsense limiter in place to
throttle this traffic. top shows no strain on rip during the tests.
All real and VM hosts are running Ubuntu x86_64, although rip is 11.04
while the others are 10.10. All VMs have open-vm-tools installed.

I guess this could be an issue with pfsense, Ubuntu 11.04, or ESXi.
I'm not sure which, but I find it odd that 1/3 VMs has poor network
performance, but only when the traffic is routed.

Any ideas where to look?

db