2.0-RC3 (amd64)
built on Tue Jul 12 21:23:55 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:52 PM, David Burgess <apt....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I hope that's not too confusing. To summarize, any two machines, real
> or virtual, get iperf results near wire speed when on the same L2
> network. Any two machines on different (routed) networks see iperf
> speeds between 320 and 550, which is expected due to the limitations
> of the router. The exception is rip. Of my three virtual hosts, which
> all live on the same ESXi server, only rip is seeing very slow iperf
> speeds (and similar nfs speeds) when acting as server to routed hosts.

I did some more testing and was surprised by the results. I created a
new virtual server "chunk" running Ubuntu Server 10.10 and expected
that because it was now the same version OS as my other servers, it
would now exhibit normal routed network speeds. But I was wrong. Chunk
consistently serves iperf at 12.8 Mbps to a routed client.

Intrigued, I moved chunk to a different local vlan/network and tested
again. The result:

iperf client   vlan    server              vlan   result
ren    real    85    chunk     virtual    250  380 Mbps  routed
ren    real    85    chunk     virtual    240  12.8 Mbps  routed
mule real    85    chunk     virtual    250  380 Mbps  routed
mule real    85    chunk     virtual    240  12.8 Mbps  routed
ren   real    85     mule       real      240   16.8 Mbps  routed

So it's not the server, it's the vlan or something related to it.
vlan85 is my LAN, and the only firewall rule on that interface is a
PASS all rule. There is no floating rule that should touch any of this
as far as I can tell.

The only thing that distinguishes vlan 240 from the other vlans I'm
testing (besides being slower) is that the hosts on this vlan have
publicly routable IP addresses, while the hosts on every other vlan
are 192.168.x.x addresses. There is no NAT occurring between local
networks.

I've now ruled out virtualization and OS as being the cause of this,
and that leaves pfsense and the switch. The switch is not slow where
the router is not involved, so unless I've misjudged, this is a
pfsense problem.

Any ideas?

db