Ethan Blanton wrote:

to have Pidgin installed on their computers by IT.  When these users
go to the 'Help' menu, they are directed to us.  There is no reason
for them to know that we cannot help them with local account problems
unless they are familiar with open source software and open source
support fora.

No IT department I've come across would give blanket permission for end users, particularly non-technical ones, to contact software vendors directly for support; it would just cause too many configuration management problems for them. (Many would consider IM clients banned software - mine do.)

--
David Woolley