> Message: 14
> Date: 06 May 2011 07:12:21 +0100
> From: dave.mal...@york.ac.uk
> Subject: Re: [Sursound] Question regarding UHJ Encoding - Decoding
> To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
>
> On May 5 2011, Richard Lee wrote:
>
>>> This sqrt(2) factor is an endless source of confusion. It seems silly
>>> that W should be divided by sqrt(2) in recoding to restore its value,
>>> which was multiplied by this in the encode to UHJ.
>>
>> This sqrt(2) factor is WRONG.  Where do people come up with such myths?
>>

> I think the problem stems from the early material on Ambisonics in that
> sometimes the pragmatic engineering decision to use -3dB on W to equalise
> average channel levels on a recording of a reverberant environment with a
> large number of distributed sources was rolled into the en/decoding
> equations and sometimes (in the more "correct", theoretical discussions) it
> wasn't. I remember being thoroughly confused by that way back in the days
> of my youth...

I think it more likely comes from there being two versions of the equations,
one encoding from b-format and the other in kernel form. The casual reader
tends to confuse the direction cosines with the x and y of b-format, MAG
usually gave both versions in internal documentation as he worked using the
kernel form himself.

Geoffrey