Hi,

Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 03:15:51 -0000
From: Richard Lee <rica...@justnet.com.au>

The Encoding eqns on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Ambisonic_UHJ_format are correct and come from Gerzon himself.

"Ambisonics in Multichannel Broadcasting and Video". JAES nov85, 33 (11): 859-871.

Snip

[1] The optimum 2 channel decode is tied in with the design of the speaker decoder which derives the signals to feed the speakers.

BLaH3 ... "Is my decoder Ambisonic?" Heller et al, AES San Francisco 2008 .... is the definitive reference for design of Classic B-format decoders.

However, 2 channel UHJ decode has other complexities which are yet to be explained clearly and accurately. Expect a BLaH encyclical on the subject before the end of the millenium.

One of these complexities is presumably indicated by the phrase "Note that two-channel UHJ requires the player to use different shelf filters than for three- and four-channel UHJ (and B-Format)" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambisonic_UHJ_format.

Any clues as to why this should be so ?? If we get back something close to three-channel B-Format, why should it be filtered differently from a straight three-channel B-Format ?? The encoding/ decoding has no frequency conscious components. Admittedly, the gains of the filters may need to differ between 2D and 3D decoding.

Ciao,

Dave Hunt