Folks,

I've been reading up on the various proposals for 3D sound from a set of
stereo speakers. The 3D Audio Alliance is working on such a system.
Astound Surround is getting ready to market, Edward Choueiri is working
on the same idea (see:
http://www.studio360.org/2011/apr/29/adventures-3d-sound/ ) and there
are others. I used to have a Carver pre-amp with Carver's Holography
button but i could never get it to do much.

Has anyone heard a truly 3D/360 surround effect from 2 speakers using
this stuff? Ever heard a fly buzzing around your head, or an object in
the back far-left of you or some such?  Can any of this do as good of a
job as Ambisonics?  Is all of this just related to head transfer
function mathematics?

I've listened to some of the headphone applications of this like
binaural and whatever these folks are doing here
http://www.3d60.co.uk/index.php  That demo on the 3D60 page sounds
really cool, however nothing ever sounds like it's more than a foot from
my head and nothing is ever right in front of me. Why can't they create
an effect of something coming from a long distance away and getting
closer and closer behind me? If it's all related to head transfer
function you'd think you could create any sound your ears can hear.

I'm looking at my audio system building options and I'd love to throw my
money/space decor at 2 really good speakers and a good 2 channel pre-amp
instead of 12 speakers in an ambisonic system with all the associated
electronics.

Any thoughts on all this 3D through 2 channel stuff?

Thanks,

--
Bearcat M. Şandor
Jabber/xmpp/gtalk/email: bear...@feline-soul.net