My personal opinion:

a) 3D sound from 2 speakers
Rubbish. Unless energy is arriving from the general direction of the supposed
source, the best any system can do is present some psycho-acoustically
confusing cues that attempt to fool the brain, but sadly (for the 2-channel
snake-oil folk) the brain usually wins and tells you it is confused.

b) 3D sound in headphones
Better. With customized HRTFs and a virtualized 3rd order ambisonic system (18
speaker feeds - 3 rings of 6) or simply really good binaural recordings this
can work very well, source material dependent.

If you want 3D sound, then you are going to need considerably more channels
than 2.

- Neil