On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 09:53:31PM +0100, dw wrote:

> One would never be able to locate the source of a gun shot then, since
> you don't have time to sample the soundfield.

In anechoic conditions the direction of such a sound could be
ambiguous, apart from pinna coloration if there is enough HF
energy.

And I didn't say that 'exploring the sound field' is required
to have any directional perception at all. The effect of head
movements is to resolve ambiguities (e.g. front to back at LF),
or if the sound field isn't consistent with that of a real source,
to create confusion and destroy the illusion.

Imagine a XTC system reproducing someone speaking at say 60
degrees left. If I turn my head towards the virtual speaker
I expect more or less the same signal in both ears. There's
no way to achieve that with one ear almost facing the speakers
and the other one turned away from them.

Ciao,

--
FA