Dave Malham wrote:

On 18/07/2011 19:34, Stefan Schreiber wrote:

Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

On 07/18/2011 06:18 PM, Stefan Schreiber wrote:

So we’re taking advantage of
what we learned there to create this feeling that things are being
projected into space in the D axis, the depth axis.

<sound of coffee being expelled through the nose>

the what?

so this is 4d spacetime, right? x, y, z, and d :) now this funny drone noise, is that minkowski spinning in his grave?

Careful, here I differ!

In a parametric approach, d makes a lot of sense. It is not clear from the interview < how > the distance cues are reproduced, agreed.

And I (re)differ. In a parametric approach it makes no sense (and may even be harmful) to define a parameter twice, as this implies. If we assume the _actually_ mean distance when they talk of depth, then that is already given by the audio object's position w.r.t. the listener.Anything else is just mumbo-jumbo..or, rather, it is mistaking the affect of having audio objects (including early reflections and so on) presented at many different distances, rather than at similar apparent distances, for something that is real and physical.

Agreed, I was wrong on this.

Music representation according to this approach is clearly five-dimensional (x,y,z, d and t!), so they call this "multidimensial audio"/MDA... O:-) :-)

You've forgotten timbre, loudness, rhythm and so on..hang on, isn't getting to sound a bit like string theory (and if it is, ain't that going to annoy the wind and percussion sections.......). Sorry, sorry, couldn't resist.

Why are you sorry? I was kidding... Some physical theories are actually using (just) 5 dimensions. String theory requires more, but I am very unsure if string theory is really "hot" at the moment... Had recently a long discussion with a French cosmologist after a concert. All this dark energy/dark matter stuff and the missing particles at CERN might be pretty unrelated to string theory, right?! Anyway, I actually learned that dark energy is not the same as inflation, even if this is not clear from the start... You never know, though. String theory? This is so ridiculously 80s, come on... :-D

However, X-talk cancelling techniques would require close speakers.

i'm not sure about this. from what i've heard, rwth aachen are running a CAVE with head tracking and binaural feeds delivered by a cube of speakers (as that is the only layout that wouldn't interfere too much with their screen configuration). no idea how exactly they do it, but there should be some papers out there. iirc they can even accomodate more than one listener. haven't heard it, though.

See http://darwin.bth.rwth-aachen.de/opus3/volltexte/2009/2713/pdf/Assenmacher_Ingo.pdfts";.

Thanks, I will look into this when I have more time.

However, if they can't track more than one listener, the system is DOA. Nice research, but keep developping something for a more social experience.

Don't think he's saying it's vapourware - just that it sounds like snake-oil sales talk...but a truly modern version of this should include the "q" word in it at least once (well, strictly speaking, it would be superimposed an infinite number of times, but would collapse to a single state on being read)

My opinion: It is the right time to introduce some improved surround system into the market, at least in the cinema area there seems to be real demand. Scientifically, we should have gathered enough knowledge to be able to do so, by now.

Agreed (and so, apparently, do the BBC and many others)

You know my opinion: They should introduce some form of sound field approach into the supposed "general" 3D audio standard, if there is a standard at all. Say Ambisonics up to 3rd order, F-M higher order format.

Even more important will be to design relatively simple systems which are able to reproduce surround sound and 3D audio at home, or even in cinemas. I think they should consider both headphone and loudspeaker systems, from the start. (If some systems are not "complete", say 3D7.1, they still might offer new possibilities.)

Surround is not just about Ambisonics and maybe WFS, yet again.

True - but they are ones that work and are well established.

    Dave

See above: I believe that the reproduction side is actually more important. If you have found some convincing solution on the reproduction side, the "coding" of 3D audio is a solved issue. On the other hand, if nobody actually can hear to the beauty of sound fields or fast-moving audio objects...

I actually don't like the parametric/object approach a lot, but for some reasons they might be able to define at least < some > standard. To have some standard is better than not to agree on anything.

What is more interesting to me is < how > SRS is actually reproducing 3D and distance cues.

Again I would like to refer to the article which was cited! There seems to be a complex system A...

After the preliminaries, I was led to the company’s Advanced Rendering Lab, a big room equipped with powered studio monitors crossing every wall and firing down from the ceiling—22 of them in all.

...and a simpler "CE system" B...

So, when you have this two-speaker concept, this minimal-number-of-speakers concept, you can create a much more immersive soundfield because it’s matching playback to the human ear-brain system, to the perception system, in a much better way than you can when you’re just simulating surround by putting speakers around the room.

RS: Are you saying that in the ideal surround sound world, the only time you’d have more than a pair of speakers up front is when you were maybe just needing to fill the back part of a large auditorium or listening room?

AK: Almost. The other reason is to sometimes put something directly behind you, rather than having only this kind of immersive field of depth projection [from the front]. Most of the stuff that occurs when you’re watching a movie or TV is occurring in front of you, though occasionally there are things that kind of fly in from behind you.

So what we’re working on now is essentially a multichannel or 5.1 version of the twochannel system that you heard. You can have speakers back there, as long as you treat all the speakers with the same kind of technology to maintain this immersion.

This is not really explained, but probably the CE/cinema system they are aiming at.

The next and good question would be if this is actually about 3D Audio (they are behind the 3DAA). If it doesn't work like this, IMO this system doesn't stand a chance.

Some people want to introduce 3D audio in film/cinemas, which is behind the recent activities of SRS in this area.

It is also a big chance for Ambisonics, but probably I am repeating a phrase I wrote some years ago..

However, I wish the BBC good luck. Maybe they will succeed this time. (I don't will clarify "in what". :-) )

Best regards

Stefan