Marc Lavallée wrote:

Le 21 septembre 2011 10:19:27, Stefan Schreiber a écrit :

Remember,
the original proposition was "Intellectual property... does not exist
naturally - it is something granted by society to individuals", which I
regard as mere sophistry, at best - a typical example of what I could
call "GPL fundamentalism",  in which "information wants to be free"
remains the most daft pseudo-anthropomorphic statement ever said by
anyone. "information" is an abstract mathematical or philosophical
concept, possibly a "thing", but definitely not a sentient life-form who
"wants" anything.

"Information wants to be free" is a 40 years old aphorism, not a scientific statement, and it does not come from the free software movement. Its author said later: "Information Wants To Be Free. Information also wants to be expensive.".

Well spoken. This was the reason why I was talking about certain "circles".

Believing that < any > software needs a GPL sticker on it (cos this is
"best for society" etc.) doesn't mean everybody has to join this religion.

Free software rely on IP. I would advise to read or ask any knowledgable IP lawyer about free software before calling it a religion. This thread was about an invalid patent; we're happy that it was rejected, and we can now all move along.

--
Marc

I don't called free software a "religion". (In fact, we are all using a lot of free stuff.)

Believing that < any > software needs a GPL sticker on it (cos this is
"best for society" etc.) doesn't mean everybody has to join this religion.

Clear enough?! Yes, I know it is a little bit polemic, but whole this patent discussion was polemic fom the first minute. GPL, Apache and other licenses fit into the IP system.

Best,

Stefan