Hi Daniel,
I just had a quick look at the discussion on sounddesigners. We've just bought an ST450 based on reports from people we trust who have had pre-production units. I've not personally done anything serious with it yet as it's been marking season here, so I can't comment directly on it yet other than to say it seems very quiet and a seriously professional piece of kit, much better built than our existing ST250. I like the fact that whilst it still uses Lemo connectors on the mic lead as first seen on the ST350 (I think) they've got both the stereo and the B format outputs on XLR's, rather than having the B Format signals on another Lemo. Note that if you've only used the ST250, a welcome surprise is that (like the 350), stereo and B format are output on separate connectors. The capsules, though, do seem to have had a makeover, at least as far as I can see through the grill with the aid of my trusty LED keyring torch. The front edges of these are now bevelled, unlike those in the earlier versions, portable or otherwise - although they are still using the same illustration in the 450 manual as is in the 350 manual, which shows the earlier design. The only thing I miss is a test oscillator, which I, personally, think is an even more important facility on portable kit like this than it is on the studio units.

Dave

PS A little bit more historical stuff from the manual

"Early SoundField prototype models were developed using Gerzon’s theory in conjunction with the National Research Development Corporation of Great Britain and Calrec Audio. Chief Designer at Calrec, Ken Farrar, and colleagues played a leading role in turning Gerzon’s theory into a real product and Ken Farrar’s contribution was later recognised by his appointment as a Fellow of the Institution of Electrical Engineers (F.I.E.E.). In 1993, the company SoundField Ltd. was formed specifically to manufacture and further develop the range of products and their application in both stereo and multichannel audio environments"