As an ST-250 B-format pantophonic practitioner of nearly 20 years, I yield to
no one in my appreciation of FOA via a hexagon layout with a Cepiar decoder.
That being said, the benefits of the 3 rear loudspeakers (i.e., localized
applause and reverberation) do not compare with the benefits acheived by the 3
front ones (i.e., soundstage envelopment and spaciousness)! Indeed, I
would never replace my 3 front loudspeakers with a quadrilateral layout.  Why
three-speaker stereophony never became an end in itself is a mystery to me. It
is not nearly as financially and logistically burdensome as surround sound and
yet its benefits are very tangible.