On 12/04/2012 18:31, Martin Leese wrote:
seva<s...@soundcurrent.com>  wrote:
but for me, i'd really like some tools to use in film mixing (even
with the distributed Ls and Rs speakers). anyone on the list care to
tell me what tools might be best, or "why it just won't work"? the
idea is to simply improve location and immersive aspects of film
sound, whether played in a theatre or in home theatre.

Cinemas are hostile environments for
Ambisonics.

Possibly I simply haven't been to enough high-spec cinemas, but I tend to the opinion that cinemas are fairly hostile environments for audio generally. Too often, dialogue + foley + sfx + music = a mess, immersive or otherwise. A person may see a film once in the cinema, but maybe many times at home, so strategically, at least, the latter should arguably be the priority.

Richard Dobson