Okay, understood. In the course of thinking about this, I've come to
the idea that maybe the problem is with the whole concept of spreading
like this. When we localise a sound source, there's a lot of
information in the transients, which will, of course, have a different
spectral signature to the more stead state parts of the sound. The
likelihood is therefore that the transients will be panned differently
which will, in turn, make for inconsistent imaging, which would
explain what I've been hearing with mgspreadpan.

    Dave

On 1 June 2012 17:41, Fons Adriaensen <f...@linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 03:26:18PM +0100, Dave Malham wrote:
>
>> Have you compared the results of having separate X,Y,U,V,P,Q
>> filters to generate the "panning" (which is how I interpret what you say
>> above) with pre-filtering the sounds then panning the filter outputs?
>
> Not sure if I understand the question correctly... But if I do, that is
> how it works, except that the filtering and panning operations have been
> collapsed into a single operation. The IRs of all the panned filter outputs
> are summed, the result is a set of seven filters (the one for W is just a
> delay, as the others are linear-phase). So for a mono source we get a
> 1 by 7 convolution matrix, which in this case is the equivalent of 2048
> individually panned filter outputs.
>
> Ciao,
>
> --
> FA
>
> A world of exhaustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.
> It's also a pipe-dream, founded on self-delusion, nerd hubris
> and hysterically inflated market opportunities. (Cory Doctorow)

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by my employer

Dave Malham
Music Research Centre
Department of Music
The University of York
Heslington
York YO10 5DD
UK
Phone 01904 322448
Fax     01904 322450
'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'