Interesting point. I guess it has to do with statistics - but I don't know.

     Dave

On 24 September 2012 18:49, Jörn Nettingsmeier
<netti...@stackingdwarves.net> wrote:
> On 09/24/2012 10:58 AM, Dave Malham wrote:

>>> I doubt very much if either would be a plane wave.
>

>> However, I tend to agree because
>> lightning is a vertical line source and a waterfall tends to a
>> horizontal line source.
>

> i don't see how a waterfall or whitewater river could generate a plane (or
> rather, cylindrical) wave, given that it consists of decorrelated sources of
> noise.
>
> on the other hand, i know that roads and highways are treated as line
> sources as well for the purpose of emission control, i.e. with 3dB
> attenuation per doubling of distance.
>
> maybe someone can explain why this should be so?
>

> --
> Jörn Nettingsmeier
> Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487
>
> Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio)
> Tonmeister VDT
>
> http://stackingdwarves.net

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by my employer

Dave Malham
Music Research Centre
Department of Music
The University of York
Heslington
York YO10 5DD
UK
Phone 01904 322448
Fax     01904 322450
'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'