Very interesting post & following discussion.

I've actually been added very recently to the IST/37 committee, which
apparently is a close relative to the MPEG one. However, I've not talked to
any other members so far and I'm not sure how all this stuff works just yet!

In other news, I spent a bit of time last year putting together a C API for
object streaming etc (including Ambisonics). Hopefully it roughly captures
the suggestions/requirements below. This project is now in a state where
there's a fairly short API that seems to work and a basic SDK which provides
some basic reference tools like a simple stereo renderer, lossless file
format and network streaming. However, this isn't part of the API/Spec
itself - the intent is that the C API should be independent of actual
rendering/stream/persistence formats (although a reference is provided), so
would hopefully play nice with Atmos/MDA. That said, I've not seen a
*technical* spec for either of these yet, so there's a fair bit of guesswork
happening. Certainly what's there now seems to work well for me, so far. :-/
The provisional spec has been bounced off a few folk but I've not heard much
back (though I also had some email problems at a similar time). I'm
wondering about releasing the API and SDK using some kind of open source
license. Anyway - if folk are interested in more detail, please get in touch
off-list!

Best wishes,

--Richard