Hello Matthew,
I know you already received accurate and detailed responses to your question,
but thought I'd add something.
The ears, by themselves, are essentially omnidirectional. They're akin to most
pressure mics with no rearward venting. The head shapes the sound (ITDs,
ILDs... the stuff you're aware of), as do the pinnae and body.
The 3daudio mic provides ITDs and pinnae transfer characteristics... I think
(mere separation gives the time difference). Given the correct filter
characteristics (i.e., the HRTF) and mixing output of mics to opposite ears,
you could provide some semblance of a head. With further processing you could
perhaps get the equivalent of transaural stereo that provides a 3D listening
experience with only two loudspeakers. Now, you might ask, can I take this
information, set up the appropriate equations, and work backwards to get a
B-formatted signals that can ultimately be processed for the desired number of
channels? When setting up the linear equations (I suppose each wav file would
be its own array or variable in MATLAB), you'd probably run into infinite
solutions (or no solution) because the number of equations wouldn't match
number of unknowns. If you're after an inexpensive *binaural* mic, there are
good ones you can wear in or at the ear (ask Len, he
 knows). But I take you're looking for a true Ambisonic solution at low cost.
I'm curious to build an Ambisonic mic using low-noise Panasonic or Knowles
elements, but calibration is key. I have a great Ambisonic mic (TetraMic), but
like to build things for the fun of it. Always good learning experience, too.
Best wishes in your quest... maybe keep us up to date? Eric C.