Ok, you have two problems with large capsules. Firstly there's the standard
one of the basic directionality going off. The directional patterns of any
capsules degrades as the frequency goes up, due to interference effects,
and this happens at lower frequencies with larger capsules. Secondly if you
are deriving B format signals (or anything similar) from a capsule array,
the wider the separation the lower the frequency at which the derivation
fails which is why the tetramic produces such good patterns to such high
frequencies compared with the actual Soundfield. However, the larger
capsules of the Soundfield are a lot quieter and "nicer' simply because
they are based on better quality and larger diaphragm  capsules - so, you
pays your money and makes your choice.

    Dave

On 29 April 2013 15:56, Ronald C.F. Antony <r...@cubiculum.com> wrote:

> On 29 Apr 2013, at 02:33, Dave Malham <dave.mal...@york.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > but the 30+
> > mm size will seriously mess with the high frequency response f any
> derived
> > horizontal only B format.
>

> Could you please elaborate on the expected effects from the larger
> capsules?
> Trying to figure out if that would result in something one can live with,
> or something that turns it useless.

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University, so this
disclaimer is redundant....

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by my employer

Dave Malham
Ex-Music Research Centre
Department of Music
The University of York
Heslington
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'