Sorry about continuing the off-topic...

David Pickett kirjoitti:
What amazed me about the quality of the sound on these old cassettes and
analog tapes is that the quality has been preserved

They are often very good, depending on what kind of a recorder the recording
was made. You can also reduce tape hiss and other noises afterwards.

I always thought that reducing wow and flutter was almost impossible or at
east very expensive. I was surprised that it can be done. You can listen to an example of a quite extreme W&F reel to reel tape recording, that I worked with:
http://www.tonfiks.fi/9

The page is in Finnish, but the wow & flutter example is the first one.
The one without any image, just the text links.
Some hum/noise/clicks have also been reduced from the "after" (jalkeen) clip

Some of the data on my CDRs and DATs on the other hand, has disappeared
completely!

I have certain CDR:s from the beginning of the 90's, that have become brown from
the edge. That's a warning to make new copies.

With the DAT tapes it is possible that the data can be recovered, but you'd need to find a DAT player with a tracking and tape adjustments that fit the tape. The adjustments of the recorder you used may have shifted. A colleague of mine once used five separate DAT tape decks to recover all data of a 55 minute recording,
getting pieces from different parts of the tape with different players.

Eero