There are large ambisonic and WFS systems in Tod Machover's opera Death and
the Powers.

The systems together are about 60 inputs and 140 outputs. 40-60 of those
outputs (depending on the venue because the show tours) are 3rd order
ambisonic (64 WFS). Much of the content is synthetically encoded based on a
UWB RFID tracking system for robots and people on stage. There are several
separate third order systems in the audience to serve different seating
areas. These are time-aligned to the main PA.

There is some more information here: http://powers.media.mit.edu
There is some technical info about the show here:
http://bot23.com/2011/01/11/death-and-the-powers-new-technologies-for-theatrical-performance/

If anyone is in the Dallas area next February and would like a backstage
tour or tickets to the performance, contact me off list.

Ben