I am working on a system that can drive 40 or so channels based on a zynq
7020 processor.

The zedboard which is the dev kit i am working with costs 320 for academics
and ~400 for commercial uses.

This will then drive a series of dac boards that I am working on. They are
likely to cost about 200 each for 8 channels (ESS).

Cheaper dac boards could be invisiged, or even direct driving digital class
D modulators. I am mainly working on the player-control hardware.

Regards.