Hi Dave,
Interesting - but we cannot comfortably tilt our heads on the side of our
neck so that the horizontal plane becomes exactly equivelant vertical plane
so even with these head movements I localisation directly above would be
less accurate other directions (I assume - I would like to see some
listening test results anyone ?).  Either way we both agree putting more
loudspeakers in a area we can localise worse there would not help. Ill
raise this topic at the next meeting I have with the spatial audio group
perhaps and see if I can get a more accurate picture of why the directly
over head speakers were reduced. Sonic lab layout is here :

http://www.qub.ac.uk/sites/sarc/AboutUs/TheSARCBuildingandFacilities/TheSonicLab/SonicLabSpecs/Image,219299,en.gif

as I say I think they had more directly overhead previously - though now I
wonder if I got that wrong as there seems to be quite  a few overhead
still.....

07580951119

augustine.leudar.com