Augustine Leudar wrote:
Im all ears (pun not intended)

Hehe, me too. :-)

Practical things and theory possibly don't meet here. Anyway, I am confused.
Possibly I should have started a topic with a different name and not stir this
thread.

Having built several installations and demos myself I know it is always risky to
place objects above the audience and you need to take care of the safety.
Also, the less you have objects up there, the smaller are the risks.

However, I was taught that a phantom image is more stable when the angle
between the two speakers gets smaller, whatever the direction of the speaker
pair. The feeling of space reduces.

When the angle gets wider, the localization of a phantom image gets less
stable and the feeling of space gets better, until it all splits apart.

The stability of the phantom image depends also some on how it was achieved,
panning a mono source or some microphone technique or some certain
decoding method, or something else.

Although I have been "fooling the ear" in my work in radio drama, it bothers me, if the "right way" to reproduce sound is to try to fool the hearing where you can
(as hearing cannot distinguish the difference anyway), or should you try to
reproduce it as well you can.

Eero