Hi Eero,
Al revers amigo. I dont know how it works with ambisonics and soundfield
reconstruction but basically generally speaking your ears cant tell the
difference if a speaker directly overhead is half a metre this way or the
other - in effect your ears have lower resolution straight above so extra
speakers are just wasted as you cant hear the difference anyway- conversley
where your ears have good localisation you need more speakers as your ears
are less easily fooled . This resulted in several speakers in the sonic lab
at the sonic arts research centre being removed overhead as listening tests
showed they were making little difference to the listener experience.
Unless I was taught wrong - In which case Im all ears (pun not intended)

On 11 July 2013 10:34, Eero Aro <eero....@dlc.fi> wrote:

> I must confess that I don't know much about what you are discussing
> about, but I think I read in one of the posts (that I already have deleted)
> that "there is no need to place a lot of speakers directly above, as our
> localization is at it's worst in that direction".
>
> However, I have always thought that you need _more_ speakers (with
> smaller angles) in those directions where the hearing localization of
> phantom
> images is not very good. You don't need as many speakers in those
> directions
> where the localization of phantom images is good. In front of the listener
> on the
> horizontal plane two speakers at an angle of 60 degrees is good for most
> people.
> Elsewhere you need more.
>
> This of course applies to when the listener's head is not moving.
>
> Just ask Thomas Chen.
>
> Eero

07580951119

augustine.leudar.com