On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 12:09:26PM +0000, Bo-Erik Sandholm wrote:

> I found this website comparing signal to noise on a lot of recording devices:
> http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm
> Seems they have at least used the same equipment to measure all the devices.

Interesting. And it confirms what John wrote: some of these devices
have a *really bad* EIN. These are probably also the ones that don't
even quote any value in their specs. Caveat emptor...

Building a mic preamp with say -118 dBm(A) EIN is absolutely no
problem, even using only cheap mass-produced components and no
transformer. Just connecting directly to a 5532 opamp will give
you -120 dBm(A) or better. No black art neccessary.

There's really no excuse for anything that's 10 or 20 dB worse.

Ciao,

--
FA