-------- Original Message --------- Subject: Re: [Sursound] Question about UHJ
From: "Sampo Syreeni" <de...@iki.fi>
Date: 3/17/14 4:39 pm
To: "Surround Sound discussion group" <sursound@music.vt.edu>

On 2014-03-17, Eero Aro wrote:

 > The DASH format was published by Sony and Studer in 1982:
 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Audio_Stationary_Head

 Weren't the first digital recorders actually adapted helical scan video
 ones? Because, I mean, those things are line accurate by necessity, so
 that once you have them time coded, you ought to be able to get sample
 accurate registration of the converted audio, when driven from house
 time. In many ways things like DAT and DASH might be trickier than that.

 <The lurker decloaks>

The helical scan recorder to which you likely refer was the Sony PCM-F1. It was
a two part device that had an audio processor (aka PCM adapter) connected to a
portal Betamax transport.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PCM-F1.html
http://mixonline.com/TECnology-Hall-of-Fame/1981-sony-pcmf1/

I don't believe that most Betmax systems had the ability to lock to standard
SMPTE time code. That didn't usually happen until one was faced with 3/4"
Umatic VTRs. Even then it was only on the broadcast models (BVU series) not the
lesser "industrial" machines of the VO Series.

I think that the PCM-F1 was basically an adapter that presented something that
the recorder could handle as a nominal video signal. As such it may have been
used with various recorders, but it's most often associated with the SL-2000
model. That pair were cosmetically mated and made a nice portable (relatively)
package.

At around that time I was a teenage volunteer at a local cable channel that had
Sony industrial Betamax infrastructure. We lusted after the PCM-F1.

Michael