--------- Original Message ---------  Subject: Re: [Sursound] Question about UHJ
From: "David Pickett" <d...@fugato.com>
Date: 3/17/14 5:15 pm
To: "Surround Sound discussion group" <sursound@music.vt.edu>

At 23:03 17-03-14, mgra...@mstvp.com wrote:

 > Weren't the first digital recorders actually adapted helical scan video
 > ones? Because, I mean, those things are line accurate by necessity, so
 > that once you have them time coded, you ought to be able to get sample
 > accurate registration of the converted audio, when driven from house
 > time. In many ways things like DAT and DASH might be trickier than that.
 >
 > <The lurker decloaks>
 >
 >The helical scan recorder to which you likely refer was the Sony
 >PCM-F1. It was a two part device that had an audio processor (aka PCM
 >adapter) connected to a portal Betamax transport.
 >
 >http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-PCM-F1.html
 >http://mixonline.com/TECnology-Hall-of-Fame/1981-sony-pcmf1/
 >
 >I don't believe that most Betmax systems had the ability to lock to
 >standard SMPTE time code. That didn't usually happen until one was
 >faced with 3/4" Umatic VTRs. Even then it was only on the broadcast
 >models (BVU series) not the lesser "industrial" machines of the VO Series.
 >
 >I think that the PCM-F1 was basically an adapter that presented
 >something that the recorder could handle as a nominal video signal. As
 >such it may have been used with various recorders, but it's most often
 >associated with the SL-2000 model. That pair were cosmetically mated
 >and made a nice portable (relatively) package.

 Use of BVU Umatics ante-dated the PCM-F1. This could only be used
 with VHS recorders if an adjustment was made to avoid the replacement
 of bad lines with the previous line. In essence, DAT was the same as
 16-bit PCM-F1 with the VCR and adapter in the same box, although it
 was 16-bit, rather than (14+2)-bit.

 That's quite likely the case. At that time we had only Sony SL/SLO series and
older EIAJ 1/2" open reel decks.

We did edit using SLO series Betamax, but it was control track editing, nothing
with reference time code. It was much later before I encountered anything that
could be locked to proper SMPTE time code.

Michael