On Tue, Apr 08, 2014 at 06:45:03PM +0200, JQ Adams wrote:

> My question pertains to play back to a three speaker setup (left, center,
> right)...would it be most correct to send the 'mid' signal directly to a
> center speaker and the 'side' signal to speakers left and right, phase
> inverted from each other?

It _maybe_ _could_ work if the side speakers are fairly close,
say directly L and R of a relative small monitor. They would
form a dipole in that case, but only over a rather limited
frequency range. Also the effect for off-center listeners
could be funny.

But you probably get better results with the side speakers
wider apart and using the normal M+S resp. M-S. That way they
would kick in for e.g. an off-screen speaker at the remote
end. Ideally give your users a separate volume control for
the center speaker so they can adjust the ratio of direct
sound and room sound for best results.

Ciao,

--
FA