I'll just add my comments to the other excellent replies you've had.
Experience of rather more years than I care to remember (of rigs in concert
halls) leads me to suggest that amongst the best in terms of imaging
(though, unfortunately not sound quality) are the Tannoy Dual Concentric
designs. I think that there are two factors coming into play that result in
this - one is the fact that all parts of the spectrum come from the same
place due to the dual concentric design, the other is the relatively well
controlled polar diagram. The unfortunately poor acoustic performance
compared to modern designs like Genelecs is the only thing which stops me
from going with them for everything. This sound quality seems to be related
to the basic designs because when we had to audition some new ones a few
years ago with the intention of using them to replace our flood damaged
Tannoy 15" Monitor Golds which we had acquired in around 1970, we found the
new ones sounded exactly like the four decade old ones - and bought
Genelecs instead.

   Dave

On 1 July 2014 15:28, Sero <bassi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> First, thank you very much for this amazing and very useful mailing list.
>
> I have a query that might look like it is very newbie but it has created a
> big confusion in my head when someone asked that to me recently.
>
> What is the best loudspeaker directivity (polar pattern) for an ambisonics
> listening rig?
>
> I am very confused about this because I cannot find any reference on this
> on any pubblication or discussion on the net.
> My feeling is that the larger directivity angle the best (up to
> omnidirectional) but I am still not sure about this.
> We have a lot of discussion on decoding coefficient, decoding directivities
> (in phase, max Re etc) but not on the best solution for the transducer
> directivity.
>
> I hope you can solve my uncertainty.
>
> Thanks
> Serafino
>

> *Serafino Di Rosario*
>
> *MIOA MAES CENG*
>
> *28A Haycroft Road*
>
> *SW2 5HZ London(UK)http://expochirp.tumblr.com/
> <http://expochirp.tumblr.com/>*

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'