On 08.07.2014, at 00:36, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> On 07/08/2014 12:20 AM, Gregorio García Karman wrote:
>
>> How about using loudspeakers with cardioid characteristic in the bass range?
>>
>> http://www.me-geithain.de/index.php/en/studio/products/active-loudspeaker/rl901k
>
> I've used that speaker a couple of times, and it's fantastic. I sure would
> like to build a third-order periphonic rig with those, but for the tiny
> little obstacle that is the (entirely justified) price tag Joachim Kiesler
> puts on those.
>
> It's a good addition/correction to what I said before about directivity vs.
> radiating area - you can of course also obtain directivity by "wasting" some
> energy to the rear to actively cancel unwanted sound, and that is a bit
> easier to do for very low frequencies.
>
> Taken to the extreme, you end up with dipole basses, as discussed by, among
> others, Siegfried Linkwitz. If you have some flexibility as to speaker
> positioning, they must be very nice indeed.

Thanks for your reply.

These are fine speakers indeed. I am actually mulling over the idea of setting
up an TOA rig with eight of those in an acoustically treated room (55 m2). They
could be, e.g., arranged in a ring hanging at ca. 2.5 m. height (ring diameter
ca. 5 m).

In this room we are currently working with a quadraphonic setup with four
venerable RL900 at the ear level (ring diameter ca. 8 m). I was wondering
whether it would make sense to combine the lower ring of four RL900 and the
higher ring of eight RL901 with a view to with-height ambisonics.

Cheers

Gregorio