Hi Fons.

I disabled PA and Jackd, enabled all output channels in alsamixer,
and opened Chromium 34 on the test page:
http://rdmedia.bbc.co.uk/proms/test.html
Chromium can use Alsa, but I also have a mapping problem.

Here's what's coming out of my 7.1 sound card (per jack):
Lime green (front):
  left: "this is the left front channel"
  right: "this is the right front channel"
Black (rear):
  left: "this is the centre front channel"
  right: "this is the left surround channel"
Orange (center/sub):
  left: "this is the right surround channel"
  right: silence...
Grey (side):
  left: "this is the left front channel"
  right: "this is the right front channel"

Then I reactivated PulseAudio and its jackd module,
and now all channels are correctly assigned,
except for the same copy of front to side.

Maybe you can try remapping Alsa channels in a custom Alsa config file,
setting the ALSA_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to this file
before starting Chromium:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/LibEnvVars

--
Marc