I think you probably do have a good chance of being able to do this using
conventional beamforming techniques but with the following provisos:

- Given the mic spacing, the beams will only be accurate at frequencies below
about 2kHz
- You will need to assume that the mics are omnidirectional and do not shadow
each other
- Some height information could be derived but not very accurately and there
will be an upwards-downwards ambiguity

For an idea of the processing required, you may find this paper useful:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/44035458_Sound_Field_Recording_by_Measuring_Gradients

Best wishes
Tim