On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 03:59:46PM +0200, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

> We've seen all those outlandish claims of magical waveguides that
> are just fractions of the wavelength in diameter and yet shape the
> sound so wonderfully that a 20Hz beam will travel all the way to the
> moon (using the revolutionary VacuProof™ technology that will
> finally bring cinema-friendly space battles). The problem is, this
> waveshaping is not physically possible.

Yes, it's a simple as that - not physically possible.

If you think in ambisonic (spherical harmonic) terms it's
easy to see why. Orders zero and one correspond to physical
quantities, pressure and velocity, so these can be generated
directly at any point. Higher order SH can't.

Which means that you can have cardioid subs, or even
supercardioid ones, but anything expected to create more
directional beams will need to be of a size comparable
to wavelenght.

Can be (and is) done for open-air PA systems using very big
arrays. But not in any normal room, there simply isn't the
space to do it.

Ciao,

--
FA