I've been thinking about how this discussion might apply to a couple of
things I'm working on and it seems to me there are two different problems
here.

First, there is the issue of higher order mics often not really being
higher order at low frequencies.  But isn't this really a problem of
encoding and not decoding?  It seems like we shouldn't have to know
anything about the mic once we are in B-format.  And such considerations
would not apply to synthetically panned higher order signals, right?

The other issues around cost of low frequency drivers, the ability to place
the physically larger, heavier speakers, dispersion patterns of different
drivers, etc. are certainly decoder questions.  With simple, linear
decoders, one would have an 'ambisonic crossover' that not only divides
frequency bands but takes care of scaling the different order components,
followed by two or more decoders.  Since a parametric decoder is already
working in the frequency domain, one could just vary the decode parameters
on a bin by bin basis, thus generating all the outputs from a single set of
input FFT's.

But these issues are about really decoding to speakers, which would not
apply to creating say 7.1 stems to be later mixed and sent to a bass
managed theater system, right?  Or to put it another way, crossed over
decoders are doing the bass management in the ambisonic domain.

David
VVAudio