The protection circuits likely trip the tweeter first, as its thermal time
constant is much shorter than that of woofer. Also the thermal power handling
of the woofer is much higher. Normally there is an indicator turning red if the
limits are exceeded and protection is activated. Without protection people keep
replacing tweeters.

Ilpo