One of the things that should be investigated in conjunction with higher
order Ambisonics material would be to "fade down" the higher order
components as the frequency drops, thus spreading the bass over more
speakers, reducing the strain on the individual speakers whilst maintaining
the spectral balance - hey, wasn't that Richard Lee's Powered Integrated
Sub concept from several years ago?? Doesn't help with first order materiel
but....

    Dave

On 15 October 2015 at 21:07, Steven Boardman <boardroomout...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I did a test with the genelec 6010s I have.
> The bass distorts way before before any high frequency problems occur, and
> woofer distortion happens before any protection circuit cuts in.. When the
> crossover is made higher, more level can be achieved at those frequencies,
> with less I'll effects. (I didn't push to far as I still need them.:)
> The program material used, was mastered music tracks of various genres.
> Obviously in a mixing situation high frequency overload could be different.
> Subs are a must. The more you have, the more even the response around the
> room?
>
> Steve.
> On 15 Oct 2015 19:18, "Fons Adriaensen" <f...@linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:14:59PM +0100, Dave Malham wrote:
> >
> > > Indeed, but for real-world signals bass tends (!) to be higher - at
> > least,
> > > if you don't want fried ears - so that's where it shows up.
> >
> > I can only confirm this. The last few months I've been using
> > a room equipped with 36 small Genelecs.
> > Without a quite steep highpass or xover to subs it's fairly
> > easy to drive them into producing a very dirty sound even at
> > moderate levels. You *do* need subs with those, even if you
> > don't want 'club sound'.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > --
> > FA
> >
> > A world of exhaustive, reliable metadata would be an utopia.
> > It's also a pipe-dream, founded on self-delusion, nerd hubris
> > and hysterically inflated market opportunities. (Cory Doctorow)

> > edit account or options, view archives and so on.

As of 1st October 2012, I have retired from the University.

These are my own views and may or may not be shared by the University

Dave Malham
Honorary Fellow, Department of Music
The University of York
York YO10 5DD
UK

'Ambisonics - Component Imaging for Audio'