Point taken.
Apologies if you don't think it's relevant, but really you don't have to
move your head to crowd pleasing proportions. A little rotate in either
direction with a very slight tilt to each side, or up down will normally
sort it, if not, its directly above or below, and facing towards clears up
the error. By doing this you are causing time differences at the ears,
along with tonal differences. We do it constantly, as our head is never
still.The other method is just using the plane between the ears as a
pointer. Which uses shadowing and delay.
Our heads don't pivot at our ears, or roll perfectly on the joint. Our ears
aren't that level either. Which only adds to the differences. Mine are
quite visibily not level. With both pinar of a different size and shape.
Off piste I know but the filtering effect of the ears and body, when one
only moves ones head up and down, is also quite substantial. When it is
done in all planes its a lot more.
Not to be to pedantic here, but one third of our lives is spent asleep,
lying down, either with ones head facing upwards, or even worse with one
ear covered. All in the dark, at our most vulnerable. This should be the
time of all others, that our brains and ears need to sort out this
confusion.

Best

Steve