I've been working for a couple of years now on a synthetic binaural
system.  My first reason was to be able to interpolate cleanly between
HRTFs, which I think is working well.  I can move sounds around at silly
speeds and get smooth responses.  And it all sounds good to me, but of
course, I may have just built my own, custom HRTFs.

The second goal is to parameterize it for different people.  I control the
dozen or more filters and delay with three parameters, head size that
controls ITD, torso size or the cutoff above which there are ILDs, and a
frequency scaling of all the other stuff, which is mostly the stuff above
4K, which I'm calling ear size.  So far my experience is that the delay
definitely makes a difference.  The ILDs help, but changing the cutoff
frequency is not as dramatic as I might have thought.

The top stuff, I assume mostly pinnae effects, is what interests me right
now.  I don't find that scaling the frequencies up and down makes much
difference, but, I wonder if having some notches and peaks there doesn't
help anyway.  Consider a sound in front.  When you turn your head to
disambiguate front/back, these notches and peaks sweep up in one ear and
down in the other.  A sound in the rear would get very little of this
effect.  Could our ears not be very sensitive to the sweep, even if we
could not reliably tell one static state from the other?

Here's a page showing graphics of my results so far.  I'll post a better
link to my google cardboard demo when I manage to get it up to the app
store, but here's an .apk file for those of you who can get that to your
phone on your own.

http://www.vvaudio.com/synthbinaural
http://www.vvaudio.com/sites/vvaudio7/files/VVUnityDemo.apk_.zip

David McGriffy