Joseph Anderson wrote:

Hi Peter,

You left out proximity in your panner. (Doh!) ;-)

One of our postgrads (Dan Peterson
<https://dxarts.washington.edu/people/daniel-peterson>) has been working on
a doppler-panner that includes diffusion filtering and the proximity
effect. (Of course, all built out of the SuperCollider version of the ATK
<http://doc.sccode.org/Guides/Intro-to-the-ATK.html>.)

The results are fairly convincing. The technique was used for Peterson's
new piece Steilacoom, premiered on the recent UW DXARTS Concert
<https://dxarts.washington.edu/events/2015-11-20/dxarts-fall-concert>.

The plan is to make this code available as part of the ATK
<http://doc.sccode.org/Guides/Intro-to-the-ATK.html> documentation.

*Joseph Anderson*

Just to set the record straight: There is currently a lot more practical activity happening in related areas than a lot of people might be aware of. (No offense intended, of course.)

Relevant for the current/ongoing discussion:

I.

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/audiosdk/latest/concepts/audio-intro-localization/

(Just a "intro", but not in a simplifying way...)

Excerpts:

Consider the following: human beings have only two ears, but are able to locate sound sources within three dimensions. That shouldn't be possible — if you were given a stereo recording and were asked to determine if the sound came from above or below the microphones, you would have no way to tell.

Front versus back localization is significantly more difficult than lateral localization. We cannot rely on time differences, since interaural time and/or level differences may be zero for a sound in front of or behind the listener.

Humans rely on spectral modifications of sounds caused by the head and body to resolve this ambiguity. These spectral modifications are filters and reflections of sound caused by the shape and size of the head, neck, shoulders, torso, and especially, by the outer ears (or pinnae). Because sounds originating from different directions interact with the geometry of our bodies differently, our brains use spectral modification to infer the direction of origin.

HRTFs by themselves may not be enough to localize a sound precisely, so we often rely on head motion to assist with localization. Simply turning our heads changes difficult front/back ambiguity problems into lateral localization problems that we are better equipped to solve.

(!)

In our discussion before we have found convincing evidence and arguments that head motion should be relevant even to obtain improved vertical localization.

II. And here, some "old" or say classic article about game audio...

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/sound-technology/index.html

If sound sources are immovable, their positions can't be determined precisely, because the brain needs them moving (movement of the source or subconscious micro-movements in the listener's head), which helps to determine a sound source position in the geometrical space.

(?!)

Modern systems of reproduction of positioned 3D sound utilize HRTF functions forming virtual sound sources, but these synthetic virtual sources are spot. In the real life the sound mostly comes from large sources or composite ones which can consist of several individual sound generators. Large and composite sound sources allow for more realistic effects in comparison with spot sources. A spot source can be successfully applied to large but distant objects, for example, a moving train. But in the real life when the train is approaching the listener it's no more a spot source.

(See

One of our postgrads (Dan Peterson
<https://dxarts.washington.edu/people/daniel-peterson>) has been working on
a doppler-panner that includes diffusion filtering and the proximity
effect.
)

The third group consists of the sound tone parameters. This can help the player define what the walls are made of, what is the air density in the environment etc. Every material reflects and absorbs certain frequencies. These parameters emulate such absorption and reflection. They are relative frequencies (LF - Low Frequency and HF - High Frequency) within which changes can be made. For example, metallic walls reflect more frequencies than wooden ones, and the HF level will be lower for them than for emulation of wood. For example, the workshop has the following parameters: 362Hz LF and 3762 Hz HF; a wooden room has the LF at 99 Hz and the HF at 4900 Hz. Finally, there are parameters controlling the effect of Room LF and HF frequencies (in dB). This subgroup also contains Decay factor for LF and HF, and Air Absorption HF factors.

It is a safe bet that specifically AR/VR will require a solid understanding of acoustics and human audio perception. They will have to find improved ways to reproduce surround sound (including 3D audio) via headphones and loudspeakers.

(And of course, also to find convincing and robust ways to record 3D audio. What the Ozo camera is supposed to do but maybe doesn't... I believe that Nokia should reveal more solid and transparent technical information if Ozo is supposed to be a flagship product in the professional camera area. A $60.000 device is not exactly an impulse buy...Probably this will happen anyway.)

Best,

Stefan

*http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/ <http://www.ambisonictoolkit.net/>*