> On 21 Feb 2016, at 10:43, sursound-requ...@music.vt.edu wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a wireless headphone solution? I'm
> working on a live event that will be a 30mins binaural sound experience in
> a medieval prison for 24 audience members at a time. We need the audio to
> begin simultaneously for all audience members and they will be walking
> around between 3 locations. The distances aren't huge but quite a few walls
> etc.

I have, together with the Dutch sound artist Cilia Erens (she’s the real
expert), done
a simultaneous binaural event for about 50 people with a relatively simple FM
wireless
headphone system, about 10 years ago - so old technology. I think they were
sennheiser wireless headphones. The hassle was checking the headphones each
performance for tuning and volume level, the controls of which were on each
headset.

thick walls would be a problem though. You could try running antenna wires
throughout the space?
Don’t know if that would help.

> I've been looking at silent disco type headphones but have concerns about
> the quality and also that the signal apparently is converted to mono then
> back to stereo during RF transmission. Anyone tested these?

FM stereo transmission does this anyway doesn’t it? as far as I remember it’s
broadcast
as a M/S signal. A mono receiver just picks up the M signal. A stereo receiver
matrixes them
together. The audio bandwidth is limited to enable both channels to “fit” into
the frequency slot.

Binaural recordings still work OK on the radio, even with nothing above 15khz!

best wishes, Justin

Justin Bennett

jus...@justinbennett.nl
www.justinbennett.nl