On 02/21/2016 03:32 AM, Chris Timpson wrote:
Hi all

Wondering if anyone has suggestions for a wireless headphone solution? I'm
working on a live event that will be a 30mins binaural sound experience in
a medieval prison for 24 audience members at a time. We need the audio to
begin simultaneously for all audience members and they will be walking
around between 3 locations. The distances aren't huge but quite a few walls
etc.

I've been looking at silent disco type headphones but have concerns about
the quality and also that the signal apparently is converted to mono then
back to stereo during RF transmission. Anyone tested these?

It could be that we use wired headphones with some kind of small playback
device that can somehow be remotely triggered to play. There will just be a
single audio file that plays from start to finish. Wondering if anyone has
tried to build something similar, or perhaps theres an existing solution
i've completely overlooked !?

I guess the most straightforward approach would be little portable players started at the same time. If you splice a test tone and then five minutes of silence before the program material, you can have attendants start them before handing them to the audience.

Another solution might be IR-based systems as used by interpreters. They are quite resilient and easily handle multiple emitters. I don't know what their audio bandwidth is, however.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net