On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:52:20PM +0000, Politis Archontis wrote:

> One case I can think of when it is really necessary is when one needs
> to auralize binaurally the effect of a certain decoder, e.g. due to
> non-uniform arrangement of virtual loudspeakers, compared to an ideal case..

The point is that, since the direct method is equivalent to
a decoding for the set of directions used to compute the SHT
(which will be the set for which you have HRIR), there is
nothing 'ideal' or special to it. It is just one specific case
of the decoder + virtual speakers method in disguise, and one
that is very probably using way too many speakers.

Ciao,

--
FA