On 01/26/2016 11:05 PM, Politis Archontis wrote:
Hi Jorn,

yes that is correct. I think however that the virtual loudspeaker
stage is unnecessary. It is equivalent if you expand the left and
right HRTFs into spherical harmonics and multiply their coefficients
(in the frequency domain) directly with the coefficients of the sound
scene (which in the 1st-order case is the B-format recording). This
is simpler and more elegant I think. Taking the IFFT of each
coefficient of the HRTFs, you end up with an FIR filter that maps the
respective HOA signal to its binaural output, hence as you said it's
always 2*(HOA channels) no matter what. Arbitrary rotations can be
done on the HOA signals before the HOA-to-binaural filters, so
head-tracking is perfectly possible.

Wow. That sounds intriguing, thanks! I'll try to wrap my head around the SH expression of an HRTF set in the coming months, hopefully with the help of Rozenn Nicol's book.

Meanwhile, forgive the man without the heavy ion accelerator that this problem did indeed look like a nail :-D

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net