I do understand that HOA can represent resolution of directivity in the
mathematic domain better than FOA.
But I am starting to suspect we are overworking something when we are
talking of order 8 to 15?
Is it realistic to even think of measuring individual HRTF response with
that angle resolution? And is it even neccessary when we know the
adaptability of the auditory system?

As stereo works good enough over 45 degrees with 2 speakers and correct
psycho acoustic setup and a good recording are we not aiming for a overkill
system?

As a normal guy without training in listening for direction of sound
sources I suspect I cannot really pinpoint many things in more than +-10
degrees without visual cues.

I remember old discussion results about ideal number of loudspeakers for
horizontal FOA replay being 6 speakers.

My goal is to have a device that can play through headphones a stereo or
FOA recording and give me a minimum experience of listening to a stereo
system or FOA setup with out of head sound and a stable position of the
soundstage.

I am not certain this is relevant in this discussion thread as we probably
have different views of the goals and the path to the goals.

Bo-Erik