Thank you Eric. That sums it great up, and you give the sources of the
researches.

Finally some facts to the table.

Some of those papers are in the Motherlode, but by which names....?

Eero

30.3.2016, 21:44, Eric Benjamin kirjoitti:
There are several classic papers on 2-channel stereo reproduction.
I'll give them here: [1] Blumlein, A. D., British Patent 394 325
(application 1931 Dec. 14; granted 1933 June 14). [2] Clark, H.,
Dutton, G., and Vanderlyn, P., "The 'Stereosonic' Recording and
Reproducing System", IRE Trans. Audio, vol. AU-5, pp. 96- p. 380
(1957 July-Aug). [3] Leakey, D., "Some Measurements on the Effects of
Interchannel Intensity and Time Differences in Two Channel Sound
Systems", J. Acoust. Soc. Amer., vol. 31, pp. 977-986 (1959 July).
[4] Bauer, B., “Phasor analysis of some stereophonic phenomena”, J.
Acoust. Soc. Am., vol. 33, pp. 1536–1539, Nov. 1961. [5] Dutton, G.
"The Assessment of Two-Channel Stereophonic Reproduction Performance
in Studio Monitor Rooms, Living Rooms and Small Theatres", J. Audio
Eng. Soc. , vol. 10, pp. 98-105 (1962 Apr). [6] Makita, Y. "On the
Directional Localisation of Sound in the Stereophonic Sound Field",
E.B.U. Review, Part A, No. 73, pp. 102-108 (1962 June). [7] Mertens,
H., “Directional hearing in stereophony -Theory and experimental
verification” Europ. Broadcasting Union Rev. Part A, 92, 1-14 (1965)
[8] Bennett, J. Barker, K. and Edeko, F. “A New Approach to the
Assessment of Stereophonic Sound System Performance”, J. Audio Eng.
Soc., vol. 33, pp. 314-321 (1985 May). If I were to summarize all of
these, on the subject of speaker angle, the consensus would be that
they recommend a small angle because it works better. Dutton, in
particular, used an angle of 53 degrees, that being what he observed
being used in practice. 53 degrees is the angle subtended by speakers
where the distance between the speakers is the same as the distance
to the center of the line connecting the two speakers. I have two
observations from my own research. The first is that the ear signals
resulting from equal signals at the loudspeakers is not the same as
for a real source located between the loudspeakers. The second is
that, if I measure the ear signals for a real listener for the equal
loudspeaker signal case, the two ears are different. Why? Because the
summation of the signals at the ears is so sensitive that a condition
of balance is never achieved. The loudspeakers don't have the same
sensitivity, they are not precisely the same distance from the ears,
and the listener's head itself isn't precisely symmetrical, isn't
located precisely on the centerline, and isn't pointed precisely
directly ahead. All of these factors contribute to the perception
that the phantom image isn't like a real sound source. Eric