I believe the first effort to work around this with loudspeaker design
called was the BBC dip.
In sweden the stereo error compensation in speaker design is a well known
factor, at least the readers of the forum www.faktiskt.as :-)
and I believe not many of the better loudspeakers in the world are designed
with the target of a linear frequency responce in a anechoic space today.

Bot still a lot of loudspeakers are designed to have specific
characteristic and not to be way to recreate the sound that was recorded.

Bo-Erik