From: Stefan Schreiber <st...@mail.telepac.pt>
Date: 31 March 2016 17:20:20 BDT
To: Surround Sound discussion group <sursound@music.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [Sursound] OT Stereo stage width - Was: Static stereo source in rotating soundfield, possible?

Aaron Heller wrote:

Marc Lavallée, Eric Benjamin, and I put together a Trifield (three speaker stereo) plugin and demo'ed it a Burning Amp last fall. It is hosted at

  https://bitbucket.org/ajheller/trifield/overview

It is written in Faust so can be compiled for a number of different hosts,
but we provide precompiled VST plugins for Windows and MacOS in the
download folder.

There are also some plots that use Gerzon velocity and energy localization vectors (rV and rE) to analyze, +/-45 deg stereo vs Trifield vs +/- 30 deg stereo that shed some light on why "the +/- 30 deg stereo triangle" works
well.

This is not a direct response, just an observation:

Wide stereo (so +-45, or +-60º deg) would easily be possible with L- C-R stereo, native recordings. (s. Gerzon,1990.)

However and in practical terms, 5.1 does most of the same.

I am not sure if it would make a lot of practical sense to re-map +-30º stereo recordings. (to +-45º etc.)

You basically say the same:

We can also analyze stereo with the loudspeakers at +/- 30 degrees, and see that rE in the center is now 0.87, which is a significant improvement over 0.71 obtained with speakers +/- 45 degrees. In general, with two speaker stereo, for sounds in the center, rE = cos(theta/2), where theta is the angle between the two loudspeakers.

But:
How can rV > 1 be true??! (second last image...)

Best,

Stefan

P.S.: I have always seen 5.1 as stereo + ambiance system, which is the historical development as well.