Hi Peter,

I have heard 7th-order real-time decoding with headtracking, and that’s from a
real microphone array. There was no perceptible latency.

And I think the AmbiX plugins can handle the rotations and (N+1)^2 short
convolutions for the same order without problem (head-tracking performance
though inside a DAW can be laggy I guess..).

"Achieved so far” depends I guess, if you want to capture the full
high-frequency variability of HRTFs, you need about 15th order HOA signals. We
cannot record that high with any practical microphone array. But if 7th-order
decoding has a very small imperceptible difference compared to 15th, or if
parametric decoders can achieve the same result with the first few orders for
95% of the sound scenes, then we don’t need to go that much. There is some
literature that shows the maximum required order for HRTFs (from a physical
perspective), and the effect of the order on the perceptual perspective.

On the other hand, for mixing of synthetic scenes a recent PC can probably
handle the encoding to 256 HOA channels for 15th order, the matrix
multiplications for rotations and the 256 short convolutions, using most of the
computer’s resources, but I don’t believe that’s a smart way to go.

Best regards,
Archontis