Augustine Leudar wrote:

Spatial audio is as doused snakeoil as the hifi world.
I find this view a bit one-sided. At least this should not be related to our discussion...

Sound localisation
is not a purely subjective affair -

I didn't claim this.

have there been any listening tests
which demosntrate binaural rendering is capable of creating anything like
headphone spatialisation over two stereo loudspeakers ?
I am pretty sure that the kunstkopf proponents did some scientific listening tests.

Anyway -- perhaps one of these "modern" inaural recording are available
online and we can judge for ourselves.
There are plenty of CDs around, so you will find some content on YT, Spotify etc.

I have neve rnotices any problems rendering ambisonics or vbap with dozens
of channels - or even WFS .  What do you mean by "you cant record audio
objects" ?
What means "rendering vbap" at all? Vbap is "just" (3D) stereophonic panning.

You could pan some spot mikes or audio objects into some loudspeaker layout. But you have to pan "something".

http://legacy.spa.aalto.fi/research/cat/vbap/

What do you mean by "you cant record audio
objects" ?

I was referring to music and scene/ambiance  recording.
Of course you can record some audio objects. This is not a complete recording yet... I admit that the citing above doesn't make a lot of sense, but in its context there was one:

Stefan I am curious what are the advantages you see of
ambisonics for 360 audio over say vbap aside from upmix downmix
capability ?

1. You can't record audio objects. 2. You could reduce computational
complexity?

I must again ask: What does "vbap" actually means in your question. Because it is not clear what should be "compared" at all. For me, VBAP (= panning technique) is always used in some specific context. Is this context 7.1 or Dolby Atmos or DTS:X or...? You see what I mean, hopefully.

Good night

Stefan