Sampo Syreeni wrote:

On 2017-01-09, Stefan Schreiber wrote:

Sorry, correction:

"I must again ask: What does "vbap" actually mean in your question?" etc.

It refers to Ville Pulkki's dissertation at Aalto University (then Helsinki University of Technology, fi: Teknillinen korkeakoulu). http://lib.tkk.fi/Diss/2001/isbn9512255324/isbn9512255324.pdf

Basically VBAP (vector base amplitude panning) is a form of equal power weighted amplitude panning. Just as your normal stereo panning law would be, only it's in 3D, over widely varying speaker geometry.

Yes, I basically wrote the same, even linking to some Helsinki source below dissertation level... :-)

Even if the idea is rather simple, nobody for some reason did it before Ville, really. Definitely didn't take up the task of psychoacoustic evaluation of the idea.

Yep.

By Ville's work, it seems to work out better than expected. I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Dolby Atmos actually used precisely the VBAP panning law in order to place their discrete sources.

Probably! Mpeg-H 3DA certainly makes heavy use of VBAP.

The critique I'd have for such panning laws is that they don't really respect the ambisonic/Gerzon theory, especially at the low frequencies.

Stereophonic panning laws are based on Blumlein's stereo theory, which in Wittek's opinion is pretty close to sound fields anyway.

In essence, they work, and necessarily would *have* to work in the high frequency, (ambisonically speaking) high order,sparse array limit. Which is why they mostly work for common music and speech signals.

Disagreed! ILD panning leads to ITD differences at LF. (According to Blumlein, not me.)

http://www.hauptmikrofon.de/HW/Wittek_thesis_201207.pdf

In contrast, Blumlein (1933) aimed at a proportional reproduction of the directional image of the recorded scene by recreating the original physical auditory cues. He found that in a stereophonic setup, the intensity5 differences between the loudspeakers are converted into phase differences at the listener’s ears below a certain limit frequency. Above this frequency, intensity differences between the loudspeakers would translate to similar differences between the ears. Thus both important cues for source localisation would be synthesised correctly: the low frequency phase differences and the high frequency intensity differences. Blumlein’s ideas are the basis of the summing localisation theory, see section 3.6.1. They lead to a computable stereophonic reproduction between the loudspeakers. He proposed a coincident microphone setup for capturing intensity differences, consisting of two bidirectional microphones at an angle of 90°, which nowadays is known as the ‘Blumlein pair’.

Best,

Stefan

However, they fail to work general speaker arrays fully. Especially at the lower frequencies. Ambisonically speaking, where we'd go with a holistic, whole array, directionally averaged velocity decode.